Text kindly provided by, and © of, Andrew Lamberton
Brabyns Hall (or Brabin’s Hall) was built for Dr. Henry Brabyn in 1750. The Hall, with part of the estate passed afterwards to Nathaniel Wright. According to G. Ormerod in his 'History of Cheshire', there is a memorial tablet in All Saints church, Marple, to Nathaniel Wright of Brabin’s Hall, Low Marple, Esq. died 16 July 1818, aged 55, also Elizabeth, his third wife, died 23 July 1815, aged 30. In the 1860s, the Hall was owned by the Hudson family and it passed from them to the local authority in the 1940s, (the last owner was a Miss Hudson). The council had hoped to use it as a community centre but it had deteriorated so badly by 1952 that it was demolished.
Today, a new building for sports and recreation has been erected on the site. There is an interesting gardener’s cottage by the main entrance and also a pet cemetery with several gravestones, some with a Latin inscription. The extensive park is also open to the public, a lodge by the iron bridge survives and nearby are some remnants of the hall.
An excellent collection of photos is available from Visit Marple: Brabyns Hall