Location   Ireby
Year demolished   1926
Reason   Surplus to requirements

<< back to the complete list of demolished English country houses

"There are memories of Killhow, a great house of the parish, which was demolished in 1926. Among the accommodation were twelve best bed and dressing rooms, four maid-servants’ bedrooms, two bedrooms for men-servants, three bathrooms, a billiard room, wine cellars, five WCs inside and a WC outside. The house was built in the Scottish baronial style by John Porter Foster, founder of a London drapery firm, at a cost of £36,000, in 1865. By 1913 it was being considered for transformation into a sanatorium, but the scheme was not approved and demolition eventually followed." - The Ireby book, by Maureen Allen, Whelpo Farm, Caldbeck