Bulwell Hall in 1880
During the 1930s the Hall became a sanatorium. In 1937 a proposal to adapt the Hall as an Approved School for 90 boys was accepted without comment by the Education Committee. Shortly after the outbreak of World War II the Hall was taken over by the Army. First by the South Nottinghamshire Hussars Field Artillery, followed by the local Regiment of the Sherwood Foresters. About 1943-44 it became an Italian POW camp. Much damage was done during this time and it was further damaged by mining subsidence. It was demolished in 1958.